Mar 05, 2021  
Baltimore City Community College’s 2019-2020 Catalog 
Baltimore City Community College’s 2019-2020 Catalog

Tuition and Financial Aid

Tuition and Fees


Maryland Residents $110/credit hour
Out-of-State and Foreign Non-Immigrant Residents $280/credit hour

*Students from foreign countries who enter the College with a student or non-immigrant visa are classified as Out-of-State regardless of age or length of time residing in Maryland.

**Effective the Spring 2016 Semester. After 12 hours of payment of tuition and fees, students will be allowed up to 6 hours with no additional cost in tuition and fees for both in-state and out-of-state.


The Following Fees Are Non-Refundable

Commencement Participation Fee $25.00
(paid by all applicants who wish to participate in the graduation ceremony)  
Registration Fee $26.00
(a one-time fee per semester for students who register for classes)  
All replacement ID’s and parking Permits $ 5.00
Parking Fees:  
Spring and Fall full-time students: $25.00
Spring and Fall part-time students: $15.00
Summer (New Students Only): $15.00

The Following Fees Are Refundable Prior to The Start of Each Semester’s Session

Consolidated Fee Per Credit $18.00
Facilities Capital Fee Per Semester $11.00

Other Fees

In House Deferred Payment Fee $20.00
(a one-time fee per semester to defer payment)  
Course Audit Fee: same as tuition per credit hour  
Returned Check Fee $25.00
(a per transaction fee if a student’s check has been returned from their bank)  
Diploma Replacement Fee $20.00
Transcript Fee $5.00
(a per transaction fee to process and send student’s transcript request)  
Testing Center: Effective the Fall 2017 semester  
Please note: Online scheduling fee is an additional $3.00
BCCC Students:  
Proctoring Fee (TEAS, ParaPro, CLEP, etc.) $25.00
Non-BCCC Students:  
Proctoring Fee (Accuplacer Remote, CLEP, ParaPro, etc.) $35.00
Examinations (for Students from Other Colleges, etc.) $35.00
Academic Exams BCCC Students:  
Credit by Examination (Science, Nursing and Writing courses) $35.00
Credit by Examination (All other courses) $25.00
Non-BCCC Students:  
Credit by Examination (Science, Nursing and Writing courses) $45.00
Credit by Examination (All other courses) $35.00

After 90 days, uncollected debts are sent to the State’s Central Collection Unit. Costs incurred in collecting delinquent accounts will be charged to the student. The collection fee is 17% of the unpaid balance plus any attorney and court costs. The College will not write off a student’s bankruptcy until the discharge has been approved by the State Attorney General’s Office.

NOTE: Maryland residents age 60 and over
Credit courses: no tuition, $20 administrative fee, and other mandatory fees per course Non-credit courses: $10 fee plus other mandatory fees per course

NOTE: The College reserves the right to change tuition and fees, revise course content, cancel classes, and change instructor assignments without prior notice.
Enrollment is not official until payment has been made.

Student Refunds

Non-financial aid refunds are processed at the end of the final add/drop period for each semester as dictated by the Academic Calendar. All refund checks are submitted through the State of Maryland and processed by Annapolis at this time. Refunds are based on the College’s refund policy. Students who have debts owed to the State of Maryland are subject to garnishment. The Academic Calendar is located at

Financial aid refunds are processed by a 3rd party Heartland/ECSI. Heartland/ECSI will send an email to eligible students to choose their method of refund (i.e. direct deposit or paper check).

Withdrawal and Refund Policies

Credit Courses

Students dropping or withdrawing from a credit course may be eligible for a tuition refund. Refund information appears on students’ bills. The amount of refund is determined by the date on which the Add/Drop/ Withdrawal form is received in the Registrar’s Office, according to the following schedule for 16-week Fall and Spring regular semesters:

First week of the semester 100% refund
Second week 50% refund
Third week 25% refund

No refunds are made after the third week of the semester.

The refund schedule for sessions shorter than the regular 16-week semester is as follows:

Second day 100% refund
Third day 50% refund
Fourth day 25% refund

No refunds are made after the fourth day.
The complete refund policy is available in the Student Accounting Office.

NOTE: The above refund policy does not apply to students who are receiving federal or state financial aid. Financial Aid recipients are subject to the Federal Return to Title IV (R2T4) refund calculation and will have different withdrawal percentages. Details are available in the Financial Aid Office.

Non-Credit Courses

If the College cancels a non-credit Continuing Education course, 100% of the tuition and fees will be refunded. If a student formally withdraws from a non-credit course before the first class meeting, the College will refund 100% of the tuition and fees. Refunds are not possible from the first class meeting.

Add/Drop/Withdrawal Procedure

Students dropping or withdrawing from courses must complete and file an ADD/DROP/Withdrawal Form. Failure to file will result in F grades and a bill for the courses. Stopping payment on a check, failure to pay the semester bill, or failure to attend classes does not constitute withdrawal.

ADD/DROP can be done during regular registration period office hours with a 100% tuition refund any time before classes begin. All fees are non-refundable, effective the first day of classes.

Pick up ADD/DROP/Withdrawal forms in the Student Success Center, Liberty Main 020. Return completed ADD/DROP/Withdrawal forms to the Registrar’s Office, Liberty Main Building 08.

Tuition Waivers

Baltimore City Community College waives 50% of the tuition rate for credit courses for members of the Maryland National Guard, provided that regularly scheduled course space is available, the member of the Maryland National Guard is enrolled at the College, and the Maryland Adjutant General has certified that the member has at least 24 months remaining to serve or has agreed in writing to serve for a minimum of 24 months.

Senior Waivers

Seniors add to the diversity of our learning community and are welcome at Baltimore City Community College. In accordance with Maryland State statute, all BCCC students aged 60 years and older are eligible for the BCCC Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver. This waiver exempts senior citizen students from the payment of tuition for classes. Senior students are eligible to register on a seats available basis for credit courses.

Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver Guidelines

  • The senior tuition waiver may be used on a space available basis only.
  • Students may not pre-register for courses for which they plan to use a Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver.
  • Senior citizen students who choose to register earlier than the last two days of general registration may do so, and pay the full cost of tuition and fees by completing the Senior Citizen Payment Agreement Form located in the Registrar’s Office or Student Success Center at Liberty Campus.

Senior citizen students should follow the procedures below for registration:

  • See an advisor to approve and check availability of course(s)
  • Register during the last two days of the general registration period for a given semester/session. (Check Schedule of Classes for dates)

For additional information about the Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver, please contact the Registrar’s Office at 410-462-7777.

Student Debts to the College

Debts incurred during any semester must be paid before a student can register for a subsequent semester. BCCC will deny requests for academic transcripts or diplomas until all debts are cleared. Outstanding debts will be deducted from any refund due the student. After 90 days, uncollected debts are sent to the State’s Central Collection Unit. Costs incurred in collecting delinquent accounts will be charged to the student. The collection fee is 17% of the unpaid balance plus any attorney and court costs. The College will not write off a student’s bankruptcy until the discharge has been approved by the State Attorney General’s Office.

Bad Check Policy

Any person writing a bad check will not be allowed to write checks to satisfy debts or make purchases; a certified check, money order, or cash must be used. Any person writing a second bad check will not be allowed to write checks to BCCC. After 90 days without payment, the debt will be referred to the State of Maryland’s Central Collection Unit and a 17% collection fee will be added plus any attorney and court costs.

Student Account Adjustment Request

The College permits adjustment to a student’s account in the form of a refund based on the Withdrawal and Refund policies for credit courses. Additionally, a student’s account may be adjusted for extraordinary circumstances causing exceptions to those policies. An Appeal Request for such exceptions must be submitted immediately, and no request will be considered more than one year beyond the semester in question. According to the College Affordability Act of 2016, Baltimore City Community College does not have the ability to forgive debts owed to the State of Maryland. Students who complete a medical withdrawal may be responsible for Tuition and Fees after the withdrawal is processed. Forms may be obtained from the Student Accounting Office, Liberty Campus Main Building Room 027.

Deferred Payment Plan (Heartland ECSI)

Baltimore City Community College uses Heartland ECSI to process Deferred Payment plans. The Deferred payment plan allows students to defer their tuition, fees and textbooks for the Spring and Fall semesters only. The payment plan does not have any credit (course) restrictions. Students can also setup a deferred payment plan for just their textbooks if needed. Payment plan information is located here The payment plan requires students to use a credit card, debit card, checking or savings account. Students can use MasterCard, Visa, Discover or American Express. Each month, payments are automatically withdrawn from the students/ guardians credit/debit card or checking/savings account. If a student adds or drops courses, the student should contact Heartland ECSI or the Student Accounting Office. The student must submit changes to Heartland ECSI by the 1st of each month in order to adjust their payments that are due on the 5th.

If you are a non-credit student participating in the MultiSkills program, there are payments available for you as well. Payment plan information is available here: You can also contact the Student Accounting office at (410) 462- 8333 for the details of setting up a payment plan.

Statement of Residency

Baltimore City Community College assesses tuition on the basis of residence. A person who has been domiciled in the state of Maryland for a period of not less than three consecutive months prior to the date of enrollment at the College shall be considered a state resident. Domicile is defined as a person’s permanent place of abode where physical presence and possessions are maintained and where the person intends to remain indefinitely. Additionally, the domicile of any student who received more than one-half of his or her financial support from others within the last 12 months is the domicile of the person contributing the greatest portion of support, without regard to whether the parties are related by blood or marriage and without regard to student’s current address.

Military and Veterans

  • Military personnel and their dependents will be considered domiciled in the state of Maryland if they are domiciled in the state of Maryland at the time of entry into the service or if they are currently stationed in the state of Maryland and remain on active duty.
  • A Veteran using educational assistance under either Chapter 30 (Montgomery G.I. Bill- Active Duty Program) or Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 G.I. Bill), title 38, United Sates Code, who lives in Maryland while attending a school located in Maryland (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of discharge or release from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • Anyone using transferred Post 9/11 benefits (38 U.S.C. § 3319) who lives in Maryland while attending a school located in Maryland (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school within three years of the transferor’s discharge or release from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • Anyone described above while he or she remains continuously enrolled (other than during regularly scheduled breaks between courses, semesters, or terms) at the same institution. The person so described must have enrolled in the institution prior to the expiration of the three year period following discharge or release as described above and must be using educational benefits under either Chapter 30 or Chapter 33, of title 38 United States Code.
  • Anyone using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. § 3311 (b)(9)) who lives in Maryland while attending a school located in Maryland( regardless of his/her formal State of residence)
  • Anyone using transferred Post 9/11 G.I. Bill benefits (38 U.S.C. § 3319) who lives in Maryland while attending a school located in Maryland (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) and the transferor is a member of the uniformed service who is serving on active duty.
  • VA Chapter 31 and 33 students. According to the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018, Chapter 31 and 33 students will be granted an additional 90 days after the date on which the educational institution certifies the students. Students cannot be denied access to any school resources, enrollment or transcripts for any balances outstanding by the VA.
  • In addition, the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 states active military personnel will be held blameless if their orders change, and the student has to transfer to a new duty station.

Dream Act

An individual qualifies under the Maryland Dream ACT, which provides the opportunity for some non- U.S. citizens who attended high school in Maryland to receive in-state tuition. In order to qualify for this exemption, students must meet the following requirements:

  1. Provides official high school transcripts indicating attendance at a public or nonpublic high school in Maryland for at least 3 academic years not earlier than the 2005-2006 school year;
  2. Graduated from a public or nonpublic high school in Maryland or receiving the equivalent of a high school diploma from the State not earlier than the 2007-2008 school year (official transcript indicating date of graduation is required);
  3. Enrolls in the college within four years after graduating from a public or nonpublic secondary school in the State or receiving the equivalent of a high school diploma in the State;
  4. Provides documentation that the individual, or the individual’s parent or legal guardian has filed a Maryland income tax return, annually for the 3 years that coincide with the individual’s attendance at a public or nonpublic secondary school in the State (home schooled students are subject to this requirement in the same manner);
    1. annually each year between secondary school attendance and enrolling at the college, and
    2. annually while attending a community college;
  5. Provides an affidavit stating that the individual will file an application to become a permanent resident within 30 days after the individual becomes eligible to do so;
  6. Provides proof that the individual has registered with the selective service system. (This currently applies to all males 18 - 25. Proof of selective service registration can be obtained by filing with the Post Office and returning a receipt to the college that shows proof of registration or by providing a selective service card.). Once you are determined to be eligible for the exemption, you will continue to receive it as long as you fulfill the eligibility requirements or until the college no longer offers this exemption. The exemption permits undocumented individuals to pay the in-state tuition rate based on the location of your high school. If you have received a GED, the tuition rate would be based on where you most recently attended high school. To determine eligibility students must complete and submit the BCCC Dream Act Student Affidavit with all required documentation to the Admissions Office. Applying for the exemption does not alter your responsibility to pay by the college deadline any nonresident tuition and associated fees that may be due before your eligibility is determined.

Non-Credit Students

In establishing the domicile of a person enrolling in a non-credit continuing education course, that person shall indicate on a signed registration document affirming whether he/she is a resident of Maryland. That student must then adhere to the same criteria for proof of residence as a credit student at Baltimore City Community College.

Contracted Education Training

Baltimore City Community College may enter into contract with any public or private sector employer or non-profit organization that maintains facilities, operates or does business in the State to provide education or training for public or private sector employees or members for a set contractual fee in place of payment of tuition and fees under the following conditions:

  1. The employee or member is enrolled in credit or non-credit courses which will benefit the employer;
  2. The employer or non-profit organization pays the fees charged by the College;
  3. The fee reasonably reflects the usual cost borne by the students in the same or similar courses;
  4. The employees or members enrolled under this program shall be treated as any other students in accordance with the Baltimore City Community College policies and procedures and the general policies of the Board of Trustees with the exception of payment of tuition.
  5. Contractual arrangements under this section may include customized training as well as employer paid tuition and tuition reimbursement plans.

Foreign Nationals

A foreign national admitted to the United States on a temporary student or visitor visa may not be considered a Maryland resident. It is the responsibility of the student enrolling at the College to declare the proper residency status. Students are required to sign a statement verifying their residency. The burden of proof of domicile is upon the student who provided the documentation which substantiates his/her claim. A student who is discovered to have been improperly classified as a state resident will be reclassified as an out-of-state resident and will be required to pay the College the difference in tuition. Misrepresentation of facts in order to evade payment of out-of-state resident tuition may be considered cause for disciplinary action. Some non-immigrant visa types may not be eligible for in state tuition depending upon their United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) visa status. For more information, contact the Office of Admissions, or refer to the BCCC website A student failing to complete the Statement of Residency on the Admissions Application and provide appropriate documentation for residency classification will automatically be classified as an out-of-state resident for tuition purposes.

The College requires students to provide proof of residency based on, but not limited to, one or more of the following:

  • Maryland driver’s license address
  • Motor vehicle registration address
  • Address on income tax documents
  • Voter registration address
  • Uninterrupted presence at home address, including months when the College is not in session
  • Presence of possessions at the student’s residence or home rental or ownership.
  • Evidence of attendance in a Maryland High School (within the academic year of admission )
  • Military documentation (DD214 or Certificate of Eligibility for Montgomery G.I. Bill and Post 9/11 G.I. Bill)
  • MD Dream Act Documentation
  • Evidence of Immigration status in the United States

Residency Appeals

A person is provided the opportunity to request a change in residency classification or to appeal current classification by the third week of classes or twenty percent of enrollment date for the current semester/ session. Appeals for change of residency classification must be accompanied by evidence justifying such changes and must be processed prior to the end of the third week of classes or twenty percent of enrollment date for the current semester/session of enrollment. Any changes processed after the third week of classes or twenty percent of enrollment date will be effective the following semester. Appeal shall be submitted in writing to the College’s Admissions Office.

Methods of Payment at Baltimore City Community College

Baltimore City Community College offers convenient options for Students, Parents and Guardians to pay tuition and fees.

Please choose a method that works best for you:

  • Pay in person at the Cashiers Office: By cash, check, money order, or debit/credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express). Students, Parents and Guardians paying by personal checks or credit/debit card at the Cashier’s window need to have a valid ID. Also, the Credit Card holder must be present. All checks are processed through TeleCheck; State Identification is required.
  • Pay by mail using a check: Please make checks payable to Baltimore City Community College and send it to Attn: General Accounting 2901 Liberty Heights Ave. Baltimore, MD. 21215. Please allow seven to ten business days for mail and processing time.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Liberty Campus Cashiers’ Office Main Building room 051 or you can call 410-462-8474.

  • Student Tuition Payment Plan: Heartland ECSI is an option to consider, enrolling in a plan early will result in a lower down payment and more payment options. The payment plan is offered for the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters only. There are no course restrictions. You can also include your textbooks in your payment plan. You can log onto the student portal to setup your payment plan. Go to
  • Tuition Remission and Tuition Waivers: Make sure Human Resources faxed your Tuition Remission form or Waiver on the day of registration to the Student Accounting Office. The Student Accounting Office fax number is (410) 462-7477. Employee and Dependent Tuition Waivers covers tuition only. Employees and their dependents must reimburse the College if they drop a class after the refund date or receive a D or below for a BCCC credit class.
  • 3rd Party Billing: If you have a 3rd party paying your tuition and fees, click here for more information:
  • International Payments: Allows the students to wire money from outside the U.S. to Baltimore City Community College.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Student Accounting Office Liberty Campus Main Building room 027 or you can call 410-462-8333.

  • Financial Aid and Scholarship: If you have applied for Financial Aid and have not been awarded prior to registration, other payment arrangements must be made to ensure your placement in class.
  • Scholarship: The College has several scholarship opportunities for students. To access this list visit: Then click on the “Scholarship” link on the left menu.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Financial Aid Office Liberty Campus Main Building room 24 or you can call 410-462-8500.

Purchasing a MTA Bus Pass

Baltimore City Community College offers our students and staff the ability to purchase bus passes at our Cashier’s Office. The requirements to purchase MTA bus passes are listed below. Bus pass sales are final at the time of purchase.

Students purchasing a bus pass must present a current class schedule and a Baltimore City Community College identification card.

  • College monthly bus passes are $52.90; a student must be currently enrolled the month they receive a college bus pass. A student must have six or more credits for Fall and Spring classes. Summer classes require a minimum of three credits.
  • Regular monthly bus passes are $72.00; students with fewer than six credits for Fall and Spring can purchase a regular bus pass. Staff and Faculty can also purchase this bus pass with a current Baltimore City Community College identification card.
  • Disability/Senior bus passes are $21.20; Students or Staff must present a MTA Disability/Senior card with BCCC identification. (No class credit minimum)
  • Bus passes can be purchased with cash, credit cards and Financial Aid. Students purchasing bus passes with Financial Aid must complete a liability statement. The cardholder must be present if student is paying by credit card. Lost or Stolen Bus Passes require the following:
  • Students who have lost their discounted college bus pass can buy one MTA regular bus pass for $72.00, with cash or credit card only.
  • Students also have to provide a police report from Baltimore City Community College’s Police department.

Bus pass sale dates are posted at the Liberty Cashier Office room 51 Main Building and Room 3 at the Harbor Campus.

For further information you can contact Liberty Cashier Office at 410-462-8474

Financial Aid

Liberty Campus
Main Building, Room 24

The Financial Aid Office is dedicated to helping students and their families remove the financial barriers that may discourage them from attending college. Student financial aid is any grant, scholarship, loan, benefit, or employment opportunity provided to help students meet their educational-related expenses. Aid is provided by federal, state, and local governments. BCCC participates in most major federal and state programs. BCCC does not participate in the FFEL or Direct Loan Programs.

Through the BCCC Foundation, the College offers various scholarships and book awards, including the innovative Workforce Scholarship for working adults. Applications for Foundation Scholarships are available through the College’s website at The College also has a “Scholarship Matrix” publication that lists various scholarships along with their criteria and deadlines for application. The most up-to-date scholarship matrix can be found online at

BCCC Foundation, Inc.

Liberty Campus
2901 Liberty Heights Avenue
MNB 246

The amounts and types of financial aid are determined by federal, state, and local guidelines. Students and parents are expected to make a reasonable contribution toward educational expenses, based on the family’s financial ability to contribute. Students are usually offered financial aid “packages” consisting of grants, scholarships, and employment. Grants and scholarships are regarded as “gift” assistance and need not be repaid. If aid is offered in the form of a job, the student is paid an hourly rate.

Federal and most state financial aid programs are based on need. Students must reapply each year for most of these programs. Awards are made on a first-come, first-served need basis. Students selected by the federal government for verification must submit the required documentation to the Financial Aid Office before eligibility is determined.

Students considering withdrawing from courses must see an academic counselor and a financial aid counselor. Course withdrawals may have a negative impact on the student’s academic record, and financial aid may be reduced or canceled. Financial aid recipients have the right to appeal financial aid decisions. Details are available from the Financial Aid Office.

Deadlines - Apply Early!

Students apply for financial aid each academic year starting October 1st. Most forms of financial aid require the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students can complete the FAFSA online at

Applications are processed throughout the academic year, but the earlier you complete your application the better your chances of receiving aid. The best time to apply is in January or February before the fall semester of the year you plan to enroll. Please apply at least six weeks in advance of the following dates to ensure time for proper processing:

  • Maryland State Scholarship: March 1
  • BCCC Scholarships, Federal Work-Study, and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant: June 1

Eligibility Requirements

Being eligible does not guarantee you will receive an award.

To be eligible to receive financial aid, you must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen
  • Be a high school graduate or have earned an equivalent diploma
  • Be enrolled as a regular student in an eligible program
  • Be making satisfactory academic progress
  • Not be in default on any federally insured student loan and not owe a refund on a Title IV grant
  • Be registered with the Selective Service if required
  • Have a valid Social Security number
  • Have no convictions for the sale or possession of illegal drugs while receiving federal student aid

Financial assistance from federal programs is based on need. Your award, if you meet the eligibility requirements, depends on your and your family’s ability to meet college costs based on Cost of Education minus Family Contribution equals Need. Cost of Education includes tuition, fees, room, board, books, supplies, transportation, child care, costs related to a disability, and miscellaneous expenses. Family Contribution is the amount you and your family reasonably could be expected to pay toward your college education, determined by a federal formula.

Steps to Receiving Financial Aid

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the renewal FAFSA, on the Web at The Financial Aid Office staff is available to review your application and assist you in completing the FAFSA. Workshops are available periodically.
  • Keep your copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR) for your files. Respond to all letters you receive from the Financial Aid Office.
  • After receiving an electronic copy of your data, the Financial Aid Office will review your information. If the federal government or the college selects your application for verification, the Financial Aid Office will request additional information from you before awarding federal assistance.
  • Even if you are not selected for federal verification, the Financial Aid Office can still request additional information from you.

Once the Financial Aid Office has determined that you are eligible for an award, it will do the following:

  • Make an award to you based on your eligibility and availability of funds. Remember, no award is guaranteed.
  • Post your award to the Student Portal. Award letters will not be mailed. This award screen will list the types and the amounts of aid you have been awarded. Please print off a copy of your award screen.
  • Establish a book account for you in the Bookstore if your award is greater than your tuition and fees. If you need additional funds to purchase books, see a financial aid counselor.
  • Authorize aid to your account, except for Federal Work-Study, after your attendance in classes has been verified by all of your instructors. If you are due a refund for indirect educational expenses, a check will be mailed to the address that you have on file in the Registrar’s Office.

The Financial Aid Office awards aid in the following order:

  1. Pell Grant
  2. Scholarships (institutional and outside scholarships)
  3. State Scholarships
  4. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

Other Facts About Your Award

  • Your financial aid is only an estimated award until the aid is applied to your account.
  • All awards are estimated, based on full-time status.
  • The award amounts may change if you decrease the number of credits you are taking, never attend classes or if your eligibility changes.
  • If you withdraw from all classes before 61% of the semester has elapsed, the federal government requires the College to do a recalculation of your financial aid. Details are available in the Financial Aid Office.
  • The award you receive for an academic year will not carry over to the next academic year. You must re-apply annually for financial aid. Please check with the Financial Aid Office for the dates that you can apply for financial aid for each academic year (fall, spring and summer).
  • You may use any federal Pell Grant funds not used during the regular academic year to pay for summer classes.
  • If you have been awarded Federal Work-Study, you must work to earn the amount of your award. Approved Work-Study sites are located both on-and off-campus.

Academic Standards For Students Receiving Financial Aid

Students who receive federal and state grants and federal work-study must comply with the Financial Aid Office Standard of Academic Progress Policy. This policy is not the same as the Academic Standing Policy.

The student’s records will be reviewed at least once per year before any awards are made. The student’s entire academic history at the College will be reviewed (regardless of how long ago the student attended) to determine academic eligibility for aid for the current year. This review applies whether or not the student previously received aid.

A copy of the complete Standard of Academic Progress Policy is available in the Financial Aid Office. It is the student’s responsibility to become familiar with the policy to avoid any possible loss of financial aid.

Note: Financial Aid is not available for auditing or non-credit courses other than in Academic Development or English Language Instruction (ELI). Also, federal financial aid is not available to students to take additional academic development courses once they have attempted 27 equivalent credits in academic development studies courses or English Language Instruction (ELI). There are no exceptions.

Repeated Courses

Students may not receive federal grants for courses that they have previously completed with a grade of “C” or better. A student that did not successfully complete a course may repeat that course only once and receive federal financial aid. Each repeated course is counted as an attempted credit hour.

Appeal Process

Appeals regarding the lack of Satisfactory Academic Progress must be made in writing to the Financial Aid Office. Reasons for appeals include:

  • Personal illness or accident (physician verification required)
  • Serious illness or death within immediate family
  • Other extenuating circumstances
  • Appeal forms are available in the Financial Aid Office.

Tax Credits and Deductions for College Students

There are several tax credit programs, including the Hope Tax Credit and Lifetime Learning Credit, which reduce the amount of taxes owed to the federal government, as opposed to a tax deduction reducing the amount of income subject to taxation.

Return to Title IV (R2T4)

As part of the Higher Education Act, amended in 1998, Congress passed regulations that dictate how Federal Student Aid funds are handled when a student withdraws officially from classes or stops attending classes during any given semester (unofficial withdrawal). These regulations require that a Return to Title IV (R2T4) calculation be performed in order to determine the amount of aid the student has earned.

Even though students are awarded and allowed to use their financial aid to registrar, the student is still required to earn the aid by attending classes up to the point that 61% of the semester has passed. When the student attends classes after 61% of the semester has passed, the student has earned all of the Title IV funds that he or she was awarded or was scheduled to receive.

When the student completely withdraws from the semester or stops attending classes before 61% of the semester has passed, the student has failed to earn all of the financial aid that he or she received. Therefore, the college will need to determine how much of the aid must be returned to the Title IV program by the college and the student.

Baltimore City Community College must calculate the amount of the earned aid by using the date of the student’s withdrawal from the college or the date the student stopped attending classes or the last date that the student attended an academically -related activity to determine the withdrawal date.

The Return to Title IV calculation is based on the total number of days in the semester compared to the total number of days that a student attended classes before the last date of attendance. If the student receives more aid than they ‘earned’, then the ‘unearned portion’ of the student’s aid must be returned to the U.S. Department of Education.

When a student’s award has to be adjusted, the monies that are returned to the U.S. Department of Education will be returned in the following order:

  1. Pell
  2. Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG)
  3. FSEOG

(BCCC does not participate in the federal student loan programs.)

Students earn the federal portion of their financial aid by attending classes. An example is as follows:

Date of Withdrawal #of Days of Class Attend #Days in Semester %Completed % of Refund to DOE
8/23 1 110 1% 99%
9/8 22 110 20% 80%
10/13 57 110 52% 48%
10/22 66 110 60% 40%

To earn 100% of the aid awarded the student must withdraw AFTER 60% of the semester has passed. A complete copy of the Return to Title IV Policy can be found on the college’s web page at In addition, a copy of the policy is available in the Financial Aid Office.

Institutional Refund Policy

Baltimore City Community College’s non-federal refund policy may be found in the General Policies section of the college catalog or course schedule.

Special Note:

If Baltimore City Community College has to return a portion of the student’s federal and state financial aid due to an official, or unofficial withdrawal (stop attending), those funds will be deducted from the student’s account and the student will owe the college for whatever amount that had to be returned to the U.S. Department of Education.

Granville T. Woods Scholarship

Students must be high-achieving graduates of public, parochial or private high schools in Baltimore City with a minimum 3.0 GPA and excellent recommendations to be considered for the Woods scholarship. Students must be Baltimore City residents. Candidates are required to submit an application, including an essay and SAT scores. Accuplacer Placement Test assessments and interview scores are also given consideration. College credit is also granted for qualifying scores from the College Board Advanced Placement Program. Applicants must enroll as fulltime students at BCCC, with a commitment to transfer to a four-year college. The scholarship package includes exceptional benefits: tuition, fees, textbooks, a laptop computer, seminars, cultural events, study abroad, and prestigious internship opportunities. Articulation arrangements are in place to transition to honors programs at well-regarded universities. For more information, call 410-462-8300. Applications must be submitted by April 1.